Monday, March 5, 2012

Love and Other Mini-Disasters

Love. It's a very small, very loaded word. And the older I get the more complicated it seems.The longer we've been around, the more relationships we've had, the more baggage we carry and the more complicated it becomes.

I've been in love only a handful of times in my life. Frankly, I'd be doubtful of someone who claimed to have loved tens of people. To me love is rare and special, and not something handed out like gumballs from a dispenser.

The thing is, we all want to be loved. Even if we say we don't. We're bonding creatures we humans, we're like heat seeking missiles, drawn to those who we feel good around and we feel get us. That's the best any of us can hope for - to be loved and appreciated for who you are is rare find, and should be treasured.

It's always a risk to open your heart and allow yourself to be vulnerable with someone. Is there anything riskier? I don't think so. There's always a pretty good chance you'll get hurt, that you'll hurt someone else,
and that it might not work out. So why oh why do we do this to ourselves?

Well, I think it's part just DNA, and part because to love someone, to really love them is the most overwhelming, delicious feeling in the world. Even when it hurts, it's still the most alive you will ever feel.

So my friends, I am unabashedly pro-love. I am pro following your heart and not always your head, pro taking a leap of faith and seeing where it goes, and pro risking looking like a fool.

Because I'd rather be a fool for love than a genius without it. My heart may get a bit bruised at times, but it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment