Friday, March 2, 2012

"50 Shades of Grey" Has Opened Up a Whole New World for Women, But is it Good?"

I feel tremendously out of the loop that I hadn't heard of these books until today. And what I've been missing apparently! Since I don't own a Kindle or Nook (yet) I have to go on excerpts and reviews.I apologize for that.

First, hat's off to author, E.L.James on creating something so buzz-worthy. This young British woman has clearly touched a nerve.

Okay, a little warning here - these books are about sex. Mostly domination and submission sex, so be warned. If you find frank discussions about sex distasteful, move along and come back when I write about Hello Kitty.

In these books, a young woman, 21-year-old Anastasia Steele, meets multi-millionaire, Christian Grey and after much pursuing on his part, they begin a relationship.

Steele has an unhappy past and because of some childhood issues he has some sexual proclivities involving being dominant and wanting his partners to be submissive. Since I haven't read the books I can't go into too much detail, but what's fascinating to me is the way these books have impacted the women who are reading them, And can't stop reading them.

James has apparently tapped into a universal fantasy of many women - to be dominated in bed. After being in charge of so much, women are apparently happy to relinquish control when it comes to sex. Women have been interviewed saying they can't put the books down, and say their own sex lives are definitely impacted for the better because of these books.

There is much debate about the positivity of this message of women being submissive. Which I understand. In my mind there has to be a trust and understanding between consenting adults anytime there is sex involved. When it moves into an area that some might consider a little "grayer" no pun intended, it's important that everyone is on the same page.

In my mind these are basically bodice rippers 2.0. I am of the belief that what two people choose to do in the privacy of their bedroom is no one's business. It is a bond (oh, another pun) that is sacred and private.

These books are clearly for adults and I think that if people are exploring their sexuality in new and interesting ways because of some steamy books, more power to them. It's kind of a nice contrast to all the spouting of religious rhetoric in the news.

I have to admit after reading all the reviews I'm kind of wishing I had a Kindle...

No comments:

Post a Comment