Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Kardashians - The Gabor Sisters of Their Generation

It recently occurred to me that every generation has their celebrities who are famous for being famous.

When I was growing up it was Eva and Zsa Zsa Gabor, and their less famous sisters. They appeared on TV, Eva even had a TV series, "Green Acres," but she was no thespian.

The star-studded multi-million dollar extravaganza known as Kim Kardahian's wedding has had the blogosphere buzzing for weeks. I heard the couple may be making upwards of $18 million on this deal, amazing isn't it? This appears to be the closest we'll get to a royal wedding here in the states - if the royals went Vegas on us. Why does anyone care?

I've never been one to begrudge the wealthy anything they want. I believe you have the right to cars, clothes, homes... whatever. But, I do hope they are equally generous with those who are less fortunate.

I don't know how reliable this website is, but they do have a list of charities Kim has apparently given to. She also gives to a church founded by her mother/manager, Kris Jenner which may or may not be a scam of a tax shelter. I hope they are giving to charity, it would make me feel a lot better about their relentless pursuit of the spotlight and cash.

When I hear about the $75,000 for Kim's three Vera Wang dresses, the crystal covered invitations and copy of Prince William and Catherine Middleton's wedding cake, I can't help but think of the current crisis in Somalia and how many people could be fed for that amount of money.

There are ways for celebrities to enjoy the fruits of their labor AND do good. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have done this by recognizing the thirst for photos of their brood, and being paid millions for them, then donating the money to causes they believe in. It doesn't mean they can't live in mansions, buy their kids great things - they should! They work hard, it's just a matter of being aware of others in the world. We should all do what we can, when you have more, you give more.

I don't understand the fascination with the Kardashians and never will. That said, these women should not be underestimated. They have a talent for creating and giving the public what they don't even know they want. From my brief viewings of their reality show they are harpy narcissists who, after more than three minutes of viewing make me want to disconnect my cable forever.

But boy, without a heck of a lot of talent they've become international household names. Just like the Gabor sisters. You've got to give them credit for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment