Friday, January 27, 2012

It's All Really Simple - A is E

Last Saturday I had a moment of clarity. I was cleaning my house after having had my adult kids in and out for about a month. It felt good to reclaim my space, but in the back of my mind was this persistent angst that has been my unwelcome roommate for longer than I care to think about. Let's just say it's been a while. Then, as George Michael came up on my shuffling play list, I felt a shift. It was this song:

All right, so this may seem weird, but as I scrubbed and listened a feeling of calm came over me. I knew everything was all right. That I was all right. After weeks and weeks of sleepless nights and worry it was all good. No, I do not think that George is an oracle, it was a coincidence, but a week later - basement leaks, unexpected heating bills, and a spray bottle of a cleaner spilling over all the food I'd just rushed around the store to buy while I was checking out. I still felt that way. Yes, it freaked me out to have unexpected expenses, and I initially felt frustrated and annoyed that short on time I now had to re-shop, but as I rushed up and down the aisles I stopped, took a deep breath, and thought how minimal this event was. If this was the worst thing that happened to me that day, I was fine.

So what does A is E mean? Attitude is Everything.

You can think the world is conspiring against you, you can think only bad things happen to you and that nothing ever works out. Or you can have some faith, know that what you might have planned on might not be what's supposed to happen, and adjust your course and your attitude.

2 comments: